The 15-inch Toshiba Tecra R850 is the third of Toshiba’s new series of business-class notebooks that consists of the 13-inch Portege R830 and the 14-inch Tecra R840. As the largest model of the series, the Tecra R850 follows the design stylings of the smaller R830 and R840 models while maintaining a strengthened fiber glass body of the Tecra R840.
The Tecra R850 is a worthy upgrade to last year’s Tecra A11 model. In fact, this year’s R850 is lighter, stronger, and more performance-rich than last year’s models. The R850 is both lighter and slimmer than last year’s 14-inch model, despite being a larger 15-inch notebook!
The new R850 utilizes Intel’s second-generation Core i Series CPU, also known as Sandy Bridge, which delivers the Intel HD 3000 graphics option for integrated graphics. Additionally, Tecra R850 owners can also configure discrete graphics from AMD as well.
Toshiba Tecra R850 Hands On Video:
Weighing in at 5.3 pounds, this 15.6-inch model is about 19 percent slimmer and 6 percent lighter than last year’s model. Pricing starts at $879.
Configuration options for the Tecra R850 include:
- Full-voltage 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors Core i3, Core i5 or Core i7
- Airflow Cooling Technology
- Optional AMD Radeon™ HD 6450M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 discrete graphics memory supporting up to four displays
- 4GB DDR3 memory (max 8GB)
- 7200RPM hard drive or Solid State Drive
- Built-in DVD SuperMulti drive
- Windows® 7 Professional 32-bit, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- High-capacity 6-cell battery with battery life rating up to 7 hours when configured with Solid State Drive
Here are some of the connectivity options:
- USB 3.0
- eSATA/USB Combo with USB Sleep & Charge
- HDMI® or DisplayPort™
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Intel® AMT 7.0
- Bluetooth® 3.0 + EDR
- Intel 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi
- Intel® Wireless Display Capable