Students Can Pre-Order Microsoft Windows 7 for $29.99 Today

Microsoft is cutting students a big break on Windows 7. Anyone with a .edu email address can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional for just $29.99 through January 3, 2010. As an astute reader pointed out, you’ll be able to access your copy of Windows 7 on October 22nd- not immediately. You also won’t be charged until that time; see the full terms of the purchase hereHere’s the interesting part- this deal is being run through Digital River, a company that sells downloadable software. That’s right. It appears you can download a final production copy of Windows 7 right now!

Microsoft set up a special Web site for this deal: www.741.com. The numbers stand for “Windows 7 for One,” with one meaning you! Here’s the direct link to confirm your eligibility and make your purchase!

product-hero.png

Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade will be available for $119.99 to the general public come October 22, so this is a great way to save some money on Microsoft’s latest OS. If you’d rather get a copy of Windows 7 Professional, try ordering from this link;  bear in mind, the link will only work once you’ve submitted  and confirmed your valid .edu e-mail address. You’ll be able to select between a 32 bit and 64 bit version of the software. You can buy a virtual copy of the OS which you can download directly to your computer for $30 or, for an additional $13, you can have a physical disc shipped to you.  Interestingly enough, the $30 price tag places Microsoft’s Windows 7 upgrade a dollar above Apple’s  Snow Leopard upgrade.

If you’re not in college, you might want to get creative- see if you can find a friend who is or check if your old college e-mail address still works! Gaming the system isn’t recommended though- Microsoft reserves the right to ask for further verification of student status and may revoke an unlawfully purchased license key. There’s a limit of one $30 copy of Windows 7 per .edu e-mail address.

From 741.com:

How do I Buy?

1. Check that your PC can run Windows 7 with the Windows Upgrade Advisor.

2. Enter your college/university email address.

3. If you’re eligible, you’ll receive an email with purchase details.

4. Click on the link provided in the email to proceed with your purchase.

5. Purchase your license/product key.

6. Checkout and download!

1. Carl Barron

September 18, 2009 at 3:11 pm

This decision by Microsoft to lower it’s introductory price for Windows 7 is the best and most progressive thinking I have heard from Microsoft Corp for a very long time.

I wish them well with their market approach with this new software release. Let us also hope that the gremlins that plagued Vista are nowhere around when it comes to the use of this product.

I just wish I was a Student again, then I could get a bargain too.

Signed Carl Barron Chairman of agpcuk

2. Carl Barron

September 18, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I just wish I was a Student again, then I could get a bargain too.

Signed Carl Barron Chairman of agpcuk

3. Carl Barron

September 18, 2009 at 8:11 am

I just wish I was a Student again, then I could get a bargain too.

Signed Carl Barron Chairman of agpcuk

4. Shan Gee

September 18, 2009 at 5:55 pm

Actually you can’t download it right now. I tried it and Microsoft will be sending me the download link on October 22 (the same day Windows 7 launches).

5. Shan Gee

September 18, 2009 at 5:55 pm

6. Shan Gee

September 18, 2009 at 10:55 am

7. Bogdan Semida

September 18, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Thanks for pointing that out, Shan. I updated the post to reflect it. Here are the full terms of the purchase: http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/ContentTheme/pbPage.preorder

8. Bogdan Semida

September 18, 2009 at 8:22 pm

9. Bogdan Semida

September 18, 2009 at 1:22 pm

10. Nelson

September 24, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I got the verification email today but it’s only giving me the option to purchase Win 7 Home Premium! How do I order Win 7 Business Professional?

11. Nelson

September 24, 2009 at 7:18 pm

12. Nelson

September 24, 2009 at 12:18 pm

13. Bogdan Semida

September 25, 2009 at 1:42 am

Once you’ve confirmed your eligibility, go to this page to order Windows 7 Business Professional: http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/pd/productID.161678700

14. Bogdan Semida

September 25, 2009 at 1:42 am

15. Bogdan Semida

September 24, 2009 at 6:42 pm

16. Nelson

September 25, 2009 at 2:03 am

Ordering page will appear to be for Home Premium.Must click on bottom bar that says “Need to Connect to Network” in order to bring order page for Pro Premium!

17. Nelson

September 25, 2009 at 2:03 am

18. Nelson

September 24, 2009 at 7:03 pm

19. Nick

September 25, 2009 at 2:28 am

Is the copy that you get only the upgrade version that takes you from Vista to 7, or is it a stand alone install that I can install straight onto an empty drive?

• Tami

September 25, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Both. Got to the FAQ’s one the 741.com page and it tells you how you can do either one.

• Tami

September 25, 2009 at 11:18 pm

20. Nick

September 25, 2009 at 2:28 am

21. Nick

September 24, 2009 at 7:28 pm

• Tami

September 25, 2009 at 4:18 pm

22. Jennifer

November 1, 2009 at 10:07 am

Be very careful of the possibility of Digital River ripping off student’s for their version. So far I have been told by the financial institution, the charges attempted on my account for my daughter’s version is over $241.

23. Jennifer