HP Mini 1000 Netbook (video demos, specs and details)

HP is finally getting into the consumer netbook game with the Pavilion Mini 1000, an Atom-powered computer that runs Windows XP or Ubuntu with an HP customized user interface. I got a chance to sit down with HP’s Kevin Wentzel last week and shot a bunch of video and photos.

The first version of the HP Mini 1000 features a 10.2-inch glossy display and weighs in at 2.4 pounds. A 2.25-pound version with an 8.9-inch display will be coming soon.

The Mini 1000 is well built and it looks even better in person than it does in our photos. It’s case has a great swirl imprint design and is the same high quality as the rest of the Pavilion line. It can easily be carried with one hand and is small enough to fit in a purse.

UPDATE: The HP Mini 1000 is now available for order from HP. Click here for the HP Mini 1000 product page.

The Mini 1000 display has a lower resolution (1024×600) than HP’s Mini-Note 2133 (1280×768). The Mini 1000′s display looks great in person, but it’s highly reflective, which can limit use outdoors our under bright lights.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the Mini 1000 was that it has the same keyboard and touchpad layout as the Mini Note 2133. The keys are 92% the size of a normal keyboard, making it much easier to type on than netbooks with dwarfish keys. On the downside, the Mini 1000 has the awkward left/right click buttons, positioned on the side of the touch padrather than beneath it. Fortunately, you can just tap on the touchpad to click, but it’s still something users will have to get used to.

Mini 1000 Operating Systems

The HP Mini 1000 will initially be availabe with Windows XP, but a Linux version is coming soon. HP’s done an excellent job in making Linux user friendly and customized to fit the Mini 1000′s purpose: web browsing and email. HP calls the Ubuntu interface the “Mobile Internet Experience.” It looks slick, is very intuitive and reminiscent of HP’s TouchSmart interface.

The MIE Mini 1000 will come with Open Office, Firefox (web browser),Thunderbird (mail) , Skype, and a media player.

Linux applications can be added by users, but they will go through an HP clearinghouse to make sure they’re compatible with the Mini 1000.

Check out the below demo to see the MIE Mini 1000 in action:

If you’re going to truly use the Mini 1000 as a companion device you should opt for the MIE version for the sake of simplicity.

HP Mini Configurations:

The HP Mini 1000 will be available in several configurations. In addition to the 10.2-inch version, an 8.9-inch Mini 1000 will ship soon. Base memory is 512MB, with 1GB being optional on all versions, while 2GB will only available on the MIE Mini 1000. Base models will ship with an 8GB solid state drive. More expensive models will get a 16GB SSD or 60GB hard drive.

Obviously, 8GB and 16GB SSDs don’t leave a whole lot of room for your photos, music and videos. To help alleviate this problem, HP’s included two ways to add quasi-internal memory to the Mini 1000. Like many other netbooks, it includes an SD card slot. The nice thing about the Mini’s slot is that it’s hidden and SD cards fit completely inside of it.

The other solution is the Mini Mobile Drive, which comes in 2GB, 4GB and 8GB flavors. The Mini Mobile drive is simply a USB flash card that fits into a specially made carrier which sits into the right side of the netbook.

All HP Mini 1000s will come with  .3MP web cam, 802.11b/g Wifi, an integrated microphone, stereo speakers and a three-cell battery. A six-cell battery and port replicator are planned accessories.

HP Mini Pricing

UPDATE: The HP Mini 1000 is now available for order from HP. Click here for the HP Mini 1000 product page and current pricing of available configurations.

The cheapest HP mini 1000 is an  MIE will be available in January with a $379 starting price. The cheapest Windows XP version is $399. Both of these base models come with the 8GB SSD, 512MB of system memory and the 8.9-inch display.

Upgrading to the 10.2-inch display will cost $50 extra.

The Windows XP HP Mini 1000 at $499 will come with the 60GB hard drive, 1GB of system memory, bluetooth. You can get the XP 10.2-inch version starting today.

For the fashion conscious, HP has a red special edition HP Mini 1000  designed by Vivienne Tam, a clothing designer that sells high-priced clothing. It will run Windows XP, have a 10.2-inch screen and all the other higher-end options. To be honest, I had no clue who Tam was until I asked my wife, who promptly listed off a few Vivienne Tam items she owns. This edition of the Mini 1000 will cost about $700 when it’s released.

HP Mini 1000 Specifications

Operating System

‐ Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Home Basic Service Pack 3 for ULCPC Program

‐ Mobile Internet Experience built on Linux

Processor Intel Atom N270 Processor (1.6 GHz)

Chipset Intel 945GSE + ICH7M, 533MHz FSB

DDR2 SDRAM, 533MHz, one DIMM slot

XP Home model: 512MB or 1 GB

HP MIE model: 512MB, 1GB, or 2GB

Internal Storage 60 GB 4200rpm P‐ATA hard drive, 8/16 GB solid state drive (SSD)

External Storage 2/4/8 GB HP Mini Mobile Drive (optional; Available with SSD model only)

Options:

8.9‐inch WSVGA BrightView Display (1024×600, 16:10 ratio)

10.2‐inch WSVGA Display with Infinity BrightView Display(1024 x 600, 16:10 ratio)

Graphics Intel GMA950 (UMA) with optional HD video decode accelerator mini‐card1

Audio HD Audio, stereo speakers, integrated mic

Webcam 0.3MP (VGA 640 x 480, up to 30 fps)

Wireless communications 802.11b/g wireless LAN, optional Bluetooth v2.1; Wireless signal on/off switch

Communications 10/100 Ethernet

Media slot Secure Digital (SD)/MMC

Ports and connectors 2x USB 2.0, RJ‐45/Ethernet, headphone/microphone combo jack, expansion port, AC Power

Input device 92% full‐sized keyboard, touchpad with scroll function, left and right clicks

Software XP model: Microsoft Works, MS Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player; HP MIE

model: HP Custom Desktop, Open Office, Browser, E‐mail, Skype, Media Player

Security Mini‐lanyard slot

Battery Standard 3‐cell Li‐polymer 26WHr; Optional 6‐cell Li‐polymer 52WHr

Dimensions (w x d x h)3 10.3 x 6.56 x 0.99 in / 261.6 x 166.6 x 25.13 mm

Weight: Starting at 2.25 lbs/1.01 kg (with 8.9″) or 2.4lbs/1.08 kg (10.2″)

Expansion Solutions Optional; VGA cable, External USB DVD+/‐RW ODD 2, 4 and 8GB Mini Mobile Drive

Warranty

Limited 1‐year and 90‐day warranty options available, depending on country; Extended warranty

available

1. Bosque

October 30, 2008 at 2:41 am

Check out their packaging! Apple has really influenced the market. I know that HP is one of the few PC companies who can turn out top-notch design, but it is interesting how much influence Apple has from a design standpoint. Finally other companies are realizing that we don’t want humdrum looking computer technology, we want esthetically pleasing design and simple ease of use.

The real benefit goes to us the consumers and I am looking forward to checking this thing out.

2. Bosque

October 29, 2008 at 7:41 pm

3. Kevin

November 5, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Different from the 2133, the Mini 1000 Series is targeted towards mainstream consumers; the 2133 was targeted towards small businesses.

The Mini 1000 is a fantastic new series added on to the HP product line!

4. Kevin

November 5, 2008 at 4:18 pm

The Mini 1000 is a fantastic new series added on to the HP product line!

5. Kevin

November 5, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Thanks for the videos that have been added, sharing them with the visitors on my site.

HP has finally provided a Netbook that is affordable to the public, starting at $399 and MIE will be starting at $379!

6. Kevin

November 5, 2008 at 4:20 pm

7. Otheptpioge

December 6, 2008 at 10:29 am

Hi nto All

This proggs will fix all my comp errors, or not?

Who used this programms?

Otheptpioge

8. Otheptpioge

December 6, 2008 at 2:29 am

Hi nto All

This proggs will fix all my comp errors, or not?

Who used this programms?

Otheptpioge

9. Butforreal

December 14, 2008 at 12:00 am

OK.. so for real I will be getting the hp mini 1000 (not the mie.) It’s just not for me. Anyways. How come the new minis do not come with windows vista? Maybe I’m the only one, but vista looks like a nicer more professional version of windows and it works fine. It also has some features online that you can’t not see with XP, also it runs a lot faster. XP is nice, but now that Vista is out it just seems so old and less professional. What programs come on the regular mini 1000? Also is it possible to install Vista on the mini?

• Xavier

December 14, 2008 at 7:01 pm

The reason why most netbooks, including the HP Mini 1000, come with Windows XP or Linux is because Vista is much more resource intensive. It demands more in terms of graphics performance and has a lot more services it needs to run. Those graphics that you like are resource hogs. You could potentially install Vista on the Mini, but there’s no real reason to as it will do more harm than good.

The XP version of the mini 1000 doesn’t come with any software other than Microsoft Works.

• hayati

May 5, 2009 at 9:28 am

Hi Xavier,

How do you compare HP mini 1000 with Dell inspiron 10? which one will you recomend to buy?

10. Butforreal

December 13, 2008 at 4:00 pm

• Xavier

December 14, 2008 at 11:01 am

• hayati

May 5, 2009 at 2:28 am

Hi Xavier,

11. Steve

December 16, 2008 at 5:05 am

This seems to be the best netbook out there. (for me at least) I was at best buy, and they had this one next to one of the asus eeepc, and I did a side by side comparison. The keyboard on the HP Mini works great for touch typing. In the Asus, touch typing was virtually impossible.

I think it’s really weird that manufacturers will release a product like this, and declare it will only run with 1GB RAM, and then when you put a 2GB chip in, it runs just fine.

Thanks for verifying this.

The one at the store had the 16GB SSD. I’m kinda leaning towards the spacious 60GB PATA HD, but I don’t like lots of noise and heat, which I think that regular mechanical Hard Drives are more likely to exhibit. I can always get the 16GB for now, and upgrade later if I need to.

I’m not planning on storing lots of music and video on it, I can always put that stuff on a SD card.

I was really surprised at how fast the SSD was. I have heard horror stories about how slow they are. (and the Asus’s SSD was quite slow)

I do know that SSD’s are slower at writing, so most people suggest turning off the pagefile. That limits the multitasking, but with 2GB of RAM, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Well, now to the original reason I started writing this comment….Do you know if the MIE interface be freely available to owners of the XP edition? Now I know it’s based on Ubuntu, but getting Ubuntu to work properly can take a while. (at least the last time I tried it) It would be nice if we had the option to install the customized Ubuntu interface, it looks pretty slick. I’m not sure if I want to wait until January for the MIE.

12. Steve

December 15, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for verifying this.

13. Anthony

December 23, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I picked up this netbook and to no suprise, I was very pleased with the asthetics and stylish looks. beyond the material minded thinking LOL, I created an image of XP Home ( YUK ) just in case something went wrong and then installed Vista Ultimate, of which runs very well and smooth. i do recomment getting the 16GB SSD version with the 2GB additional USb internal SD card, of which should be setup to run “Readyboost”. Vista runs quickly and efficeiently, however I don’t have the Aero option. Any ideas on Areo? Sidenote: You’ll have to download “Yawcam” in order to use the built in cam.

14. Anthony

December 23, 2008 at 9:08 am

15. Jeffry

January 3, 2009 at 3:29 am

My co-worker bought this HP mini. I really love the looks and the keyboard – I am a touch typist.

About the only thing I hate is the left+right touchpad buttons. It is really awkward and I’ll never get used to it. I ended up buying the Lenovo S10 which manages to keep the left+right buttons underneath the touchpad.

16. Jeffry

January 2, 2009 at 7:29 pm

17. Bob

January 11, 2009 at 12:47 am

I have a Mini 1030 (from Best Buy: $400); it comes with 1GB RAM. Since my ultimate OS will likely be Windows 7 (I’ve heard of at least one guy who has installed a pre-Beta version), I’d like to upgrade the RAM … to 4GB.

Can this be done? Will the BIO support it?

• Jeffry

February 3, 2009 at 8:34 am

Due to licensing restriction, netbook manufacturers can only put 1GB maximum on their products. However, I know for the facts that Dell Mini 9, HP Mini, Lenovo S10, all can take a single 2GB SODIMM.

18. Bob

January 10, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Can this be done? Will the BIO support it?

• Jeffry

February 3, 2009 at 12:34 am

19. Pb

February 2, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I was wondering if this laptop came with an optical drive. If not, how can I install programs that use a CD?

• Xavier

February 2, 2009 at 6:39 pm

It does not come with an optical Drive. You may purchase one seperately (they’re very affordable and I’d recommend a 3rd party drive if you want to save), or you can use another computer with an optical drive and save the install files onto a USB thumb drive.

20. Pb

February 2, 2009 at 10:16 am

• Xavier

February 2, 2009 at 10:39 am

21. George

February 26, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I have a mini 1030NR and was trying to figure how I could connect an LCD projector or external monitor because I was not been able to find an adapter for the connector that is built into the mini. I recently purchased usb to vga adapter for $50 online and it works. The adapter I purchased is from StarTech.com part #USB2VGAE for anyone who is interested.

22. George

February 26, 2009 at 8:49 am

23. Bob

February 26, 2009 at 4:59 pm

BestBuy has reduced the price of the 1030 HP Mini to $350 (from $400) … I’m really enjoying my Mini, and think the 1030 was a good buy at $400 (which is what I paid) and a better buy at the new price. The LogiTech “nano” laptop mouse (with its almost hidden USB receiver) is a great plus; and, like an earlier poster, I have a USB to VGA converter that works very well (mine is a eVGA model).

24. Bob

February 26, 2009 at 8:59 am

25. Lawrence

May 8, 2009 at 7:36 am

HP’s second-generation foray into the mini-laptop space, also known as netbooks–the HP Mini 1000–has a couple of advantages over its predecessor (the HP 2133, which we reviewed back in early April). Gone is the Via C-7M processor; gone, too, is the pipe dream that any current netbook could handle Windows Vista (the Mini 1000 runs Windows XP). The Mini 1000 that we received for testing packs Intel’s 1.6-GHz Atom processor; 1GB of RAM; a 4200-rpm, 60GB PATA hard disk; and Windows XP. Translation: It falls in place with the rest of the current mini-notebook pack.

But its standard 3-cell battery is absolutely not enough for a lot of people both in the work and in the life. For this sense, any possibility to enlarge the capacity of the laptop battery?

I strongly suggest that order an extended hp mini laptop battery to enlarge the working time in: http://www.hunt360.net/hp-mini-1000.htm.

This website provides one year warranty, 30 days money back and shipping over the world!

What is more, the price is acceptable.

26. Lawrence

May 8, 2009 at 12:36 am

What is more, the price is acceptable.

27. Mona

June 8, 2009 at 10:34 am

I’m already using the gadget and loving it. For someone who digs into the net as much as I do without needing too much of the techno-sophistication but values simplicity and neat design, HP 1000 is just perfect! :)

(Btw, I’ve used the old HP-compact, and still use it once in a while. I’ve used a lot of HP products and have been satisfied with its durability.)

28. Mona

June 8, 2009 at 3:34 am

29. dee

November 30, 2010 at 7:46 am

This is a piece of junk. Very slow performance. I was asked to hook up a neighbors wireless for them and when I got to setting up this Mini 1000 to the wireless this machine was miserable. I would never recomend this machine to anyone. Could be due to the SSD but what a piece of crap.

30. Danny

February 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm

i agree with dee. it isn’t a peice of junk though. its performance could be better but the microphone is what i have trouble with. my skype is useless with out the microphone.

• Kevin G

February 15, 2011 at 8:08 am

Does the HP Mini 1000 sd/mmc memory slot support SDHC memory cards or no?

31. Billig Laptops

September 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this post is awesome, great written and come with approximately all significant infos. I?d like to peer more posts like this .