Toshiba is going to be releasing the 15.6-inch Toshiba Satellite C660 notebook computer, which, by their own admission, is an average machine with all the basics but not a lot more. Toshiba’s own press release calls it smart and affordableâ€ as well as adequate’â€ which may not sound like much, but for the average person who doesn’t need a lot of power, the key word might just be affordable.
The new laptop is ideal for users looking for a machine with adequate computing performance to handle their everyday computing needs – e.g. e-mailing, web-browsing, standard office applications and basic multimedia entertainment – in a really affordable package. (Toshiba Press Release)
Also included in this announcement is a notebook aimed at business customers called the Toshiba Satellite Pro C660. They are the same computer but the Pro version has Windows 7 Professional 64-bit installed instead of the Home version of Windows. It also has a non-glossy textured black casing and a non-glossy screen.
The options for these models include Intel Core i3 versus an Athlon II, up to 8 GB of RAM, and up to 640GB of hard drive space. There is no option for dedicated graphics with only the latest integrated graphics cardâ€ available.
They keyboard will be a full-size keyboard with a dedicated number pad. There is also a multi-touch track pad.
The C660 models have two USB 2.0 ports, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, a Webcam and a multi-card reader.
The consumer machine’s lid is more of a glossy finish while the Pro version is fingerprint resistant. The same can be said of the displays on each Pro version is matte while consumer version is glossy.
Here is Toshiba’s spec list:
• CPU: Intel® Coreâ„¢ i3, Intel® Pentium, Intel® Celeron, AMD® Athlonâ„¢ II Dual Core, AMD® V series
• Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit) or Premium (64-bit) on Satellite C660, Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional on Satellite Pro C660
• RAM: up to 8 GB DDR3 (1066 MHz)
• 2.5″ HDD (5,400 rpm) up to 640 GB
• 39.6cm (15,6”) TruBrite® LED HD display (16:9), 1,366 x 768 pixels, 200 cd/m2; Satellite Pro C660 also available with non-reflective display
• GPU: latest integrated graphics
• 2 x USB 2.0, Multi-Card Reader, Fast Ethernet
• WLAN (802.11 b/g/n)*, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR*
• 10-digit numeric keypad, Touch Pad with Multi-Touch Control
• starting at 2.54 kg
• Dimensions: 380.5 mm x 254 mm x 28.0 mm (front) / 35.6 mm (back)
• DVD-Super Multi drive (Double Layer)
• Toshiba Media Controller, Toshiba LifeSpace
• VGA Web Camera* with Face Recognition*, microphone
There is no date or price attached to these models yet and since it comes from their German division, it looks like this might be a European-first release.