Virgin Mobile Launches Android Powered Samsung Intercept

Today Virgin Mobile announced that the company would be launching its first Android powered smartphone, the Samsung Intercept later this month for $249 without the need for a contract. The Samsung Intercept launched earlier this Summer on Sprint and runs Android 2.1, has a 3.2MP camera and a 3.2″ touchscreen.

The Samsung Intercept can be paired used with  the Virgin Mobile “Beyond Talk” plans which come with unlimited data use, starting at $25 a month for 300 minutes and extending up to $60 a month for unlimited talk. There is no contract required for the Beyond Talk plan.

When compared to the annual cost of the Samsung Intercept on Sprint’s Simply Everything plan, which is $99 a month and requires a contract, the Samsung Intercept on Virgin Mobile is $218 to $318 cheaper! The savings could go up if you need fewer minutes.

While Virgin Mobile has offered some smartphones in the past, including a BlackBerry, the Samsung Intercept is one of the first that falls into the “exciting” category in my book. It may not have the power of a Droid X, but it looks like it could be a good fit for many users who want an Android phone without a contract, that also has a reasonable monthly fee.

Virgin Mobile phones work on the Sprint network. You can check coverage here.

Josh Smith is a longtime mobile tech user, currently using a Droid as his primary smartphone. Josh is also an editor at Notebooks.com where he reviews notebooks and other mobile tech. Follow Josh on Twitter @Josh_Smith or email him Josh@Notebooks.com.

1. Reverse cell phone lookup

October 7, 2010 at 9:07 am

They all look good, but how is the build quality?

2. Car DVD Players

October 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm

The savings could go up if you need fewer minutes.

3. Sickofreg2mkcomments

October 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I have a Samsung Intercept from Sprint and need to use it on Virgin Mobile. They can’t activate it because the esn/meid/serial number is not reconized. VM was sold out and I wanted this phone so I purchased it from a private seller. I can’t return it and I can’t really shell out another 250.00 for a phone. Any idea’s.

• Frank

November 7, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Go to Celltrade.com and try to sell it there or get rid of it by giving the contract to someonelse and buy the other one with virgin mobile, the only cost is you have to pay is 19.00 or so for the service.

• mark

November 9, 2010 at 2:57 am

yea what the serial number i can put it in the system or u can go to virginmobileusa.com/activate

• susan

January 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Can u really use sprints intercept on virgin mobile if so how can I do this? Please help. Thanks

• Tony

January 17, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Hello do you happen to still have the handset?

4. Deasia

November 10, 2010 at 12:24 pm

ok, well i work for virgin mobile now, so if u can please provide me the meid through email i will happily add it in the system

• valentino

November 13, 2010 at 9:41 am

can i leave u my my meid number i have tha same issue and want to use my samsung intercept for virgin mobile…please id really appreciate it

• scott

December 12, 2010 at 9:07 pm

hello deasia

r u able to email people for some ifo on the samsung intercept on virgin mobile?

i would appreciate it..if so.thanks

• Kyle

January 17, 2011 at 5:21 am

Deasia, I have a Sprint phone that I’m trying to set up on Virgin, can you add the MEID into the system for me?

• dima

January 24, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Hello, Deasia. I currently have a Virgin Mobile account and would like to switch my Sprint Intercept to Virgin. How can I contact you about helping me w/this? Thanks!

• susan

January 30, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Hey I too have a intercept that I would like to set up with virgin mobile service can u help me

• Thomas

April 9, 2011 at 5:03 pm

do you still work for virgin I have a sprint intercept i would love to use on virgin I have an acct already..

5. Tina

November 20, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Deasia..are you saying that you work for Virgin Mobile and you can use your Sprint Samsung Intercept with Virgin Mobile? This would be such awesome news!!! Thank you for you reply and info!!

6. ricky

December 9, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Can you do the same for me?……….

7. Android phones blog

October 17, 2011 at 8:29 am

Wow, marvelous weblog structure! How long have you been running a blog for? you made blogging look easy. The full glance of your site is great, as smartly as the content material!

8. car dvd