Lenovo officially announced the ThinkPad T400s, an incredibly thin and light 14″ notebook. The ThinkPad T400S weighs less than four pounds and measures less than an inch thick, it feels even thinner and lighter.
David Critchley of Lenovo first showed me the T400s last month in an early preview and I’ve had a chance to use a review unit over the past several days. I’m in the midst of writing a full review and I like everything about the T400s so far. It’s speedy because it uses standard-voltage Intel Core 2 Duo processors rather than the low-voltage versions that are commonly found in thin and light business notebooks.
The T400s will start at $1,599, which is a premium over the T400, but within reach for the corporate rank and file it’s designed for. Despite its slender stature, the T400s has a nice compliment of ports. On the left side of the computer is USB 2.0 port, headset jack and memory card slot. On the back of the T400s are a Display Port, one USB/eSATA port, a powered USB 2.0 port, Ethernet port, VGA ouput and AC power port. The optical drive and wireless on/off switch are the only items on the right side.
Lenovo claims the primary battery will last for up to six hours, but that isn’t enough for many business users. Because the battery is located beneath the palm-rest, it’s impossible to install an extended battery on the T400s. Instead, the optical drive can be swapped out for a secondary battery in a matter of seconds.
The ThinkPad T400s comes with:
• Choices of Intel® 2.53 GHz Coreâ„¢2Duo processors (standard voltage) and graphics
• Choices of solid state drive storage up to 128 GB or 250 GB hard drive storage
• 9.5 mm slim DVD burner or Blu-Ray player
• Ethernet, WiFi and optional WiMAX, WWAN, Bluetooth and ultrawideband connectivity
• 34mm Express Card slot or 5-in-1 multimedia card reader
• Support for Lenovo’s ConstantConnect and Protect technology that allows users to maximize integration of their BlackBerry smartphone and ThinkPad laptop
• Nearly six hours of battery life
• Supports up to two monitors via a Display Port and VGA connector
• Meets the Energy Star 5.0 criteria for energy efficiency
• Built-in USB/eSATA port