HP ProBook 5310m (Video, Specs and Photos)

The HP ProBook 5310m packs an impressive set of hardware for a laptop this thin and light. Unlike netbooks and other slim notebooks, this computer doesn’t sacrifice processing power in lieu of design or portability and rightfully claims the title of “the world’s thinnest full-performance notebook.”

The base model of the notebook is equipped with a 2 megapixel webcam, a 160GB hard drive, and 1GB of DDR3 RAM. The notebook comes with Vista, but can be downgraded to Window XP and will be eligible for a free Windows 7 upgrade on October 22nd. The ProBook 5310m starts at $699- a very reasonable price point for a well equipped sleek machine.

The ProBook 5310m base model uses the Intel Celeron3 SU2300 for its processor, however, you can upgrade to a more energy efficient and faster Intel Core 2 Duo SP9300 for $200. The 160GB hard drive is a speedy 7200 rpm model but users looking for more space can choose between a 250GB or 320GB drive. Alternatively, an 80GB or 128GB SSD drive can be selected. On top the installed 1GB memory, there’s another slot in which you can add up to an additional 4GB of memory.

The notebook has a 13.3-inch LED backlit screen. The display has a sharp resolution of 1366 x 768. The ProBook is also equipped with a neat feature called QuickWeb which allows you to access the Internet without having to boot up your notebook. QuickWeb lets you access the web through a lightweight user interface that starts up in about 20 seconds, without you having to wait for Windows to load just to get online.

HP ProBook 5310m Specifications

Operating System Pre-installed with Vista; Windows 7 after October 22nd. Downgradable to XP and certified for Linux

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo3 SP9300 (2.26 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache)

Intel Celeron3 SU2300 (1.20 GHz, 1 MB L2 cache)

Memory/RAM 1 GB of DDR3 RAM, up to 4GB
Display 13.3-inch diagonal LED-backlit HD
Graphics Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD
Hard Drive 160/250/320 GB 7200 rpm SATA HD or 80/128 GB SSD
Optical Drive None; External optical drives in standard and Blu-Ray variety may be purchased separately
Battery 4-cell Lithium-Ion battery or 6-cell Lithium-Ion battery
Wireless Optional HP un2420 EV-DO/HSPA Mobile Broadband Module
Bluetooth Broadcom 802.11 a/b/g/n draft 2.0, b/g; Bluetooth 2.1,
Audio/Visual High Definition Audio stereo speakers, combo stereo headphone/mic jack, integrated dual-microphone array;

integrated 2 MP webcam

Expansion Slots Secure Digital slot
Ports 3x USB 2,0, DisplayPort, power connector, RJ-45/Ethernet
Price Starts at $699
Software HP QuickLook 3, HP QuickWeb, HP Softpaq Download Manager, HP Recovery Manager, Roxio Creator 10, Microsoft Office Ready
Weight 4.2 pounds
Warranty Standard 1-Yr Parts and Labor, 1-Year Battery

ProBook_5310m_Front_View

ProBook 5310m Side View

ProBook 5310m Back Closed

ProBook 5310m Left Side View

ProBook 5310m Front View Closed

1. Daniel Fernandes

September 22, 2009 at 7:02 am

I am impressed with the design and features of this netbook. The 2 mp webcam is very satisfying. The display gives a sharp effect. price-wise, its reasonable.

2. Daniel Fernandes

Aha, can’t wait to obtain this one

6. Alex

October 2, 2009 at 8:02 am

Aha, can’t wait to obtain this one

7. Anthony

October 13, 2009 at 2:23 am

Such an amazing notebook with an amazing price.. HP really know how to do it..

8. Anthony

October 13, 2009 at 2:23 am

Such an amazing notebook with an amazing price.. HP really know how to do it..

9. Anthony

October 12, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Such an amazing notebook with an amazing price.. HP really know how to do it..

10. Haitham

November 25, 2009 at 9:07 am

I was looking for thin and light notebook with extended battery life, my options was to get Asus 10-12 hours battery life or Acer TimeLine 7-8 Battery life, I use the notebook usually for web surfing and remote access to my servers. So the processor power or speed not the same priority as the battery life,
    I saw this notebook and HP representative assured me that it will run for 6-7 hours, I check HP website and I found the same, so why don't give it a try.
    The machine is nice and light, but I was surprised when I tested the battery and found out that it run for only three hours with all the wireless communications and blue tooth switched off and no applications are running. I did the test several times and I get the same results.
    I called HP support and the recommended to replace the battery, so I did. The new one it butter than the old one but still runs for 3.5 hours also without wireless of Bluetooth.
    Now for the last three weeks and I'm trying with HP support, with lo luck, each time I speak to support eng, I have to explain the situation to him, and I have to convince him that as per HP this notebook should run for 6-7 hours and I have to send him the links to HP website and finally he tell I will get back to you.
    Today I was surprised to know that my support case was closed by HP, simply because they don't have answer to.
    So if you're looking for extended battery life to get this machine because simply it will not give you what was announced by HP and also to avoid HP support that the only help you will get “I WILL GET BACK TO YOU”

11. Alan M. Hurley

December 18, 2009 at 12:12 pm

The DisplayPort does not provide audio. The “combo stereo headphone/mic jack” device does not exist.

12. Alan M. Hurley