IdeaPad S10: Lenovo Mini Notebook for $399

Lenovo’s jumped into the mini-notebook game with the IdeaPad S10 today. Weighing in at less than 2.5-pounds, the IdeaPad S10 features a 10.2-inch display and will cost just $399 in its basic configuration.

The IdeaPad S10 uses Intel’s low-powered, but energy efficient Atom processor. Lenovo claims S10′s standard 3-cell battery has a runtime of three hours, while the optional 6-cell battery can get up to six hours.

For $399 you’ll be able to choose between Lenovo’s S10 will be available with black, red and white lids. The base configuration includes a 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, 512MB of RAM and 80GB hard drive. The $449 version comes with 1GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive. The S10 can be upgraded with up to 2GB of RAM.

In the U.S. the IdeaPad S10 will come with Windows XP. In some countries Lenovo will offer a more affordable version of the S10 with a 9-inch display and Linux pre-loaded.

The Lenovo IdeaPad S10 offers standard features that are optional equipment on other notebooks in its class, including a 1.3MP webcam and Bluetooth. For expansion the S10 has an ExpressCard slot and a 4-in-1 memory card reader.

Like other “netbooks,” the IdeaPad S10 is not a full-powered notebook and is best suited as a secondary notebook or for those with basic computing needs.

The IdeaPad S10 has a couple of features that set it apart from other budget notebooks. Its 10.2-inch display, which is larger than what many notebooks in this price range, is LED backlit to reduce power consumption. Its trackpad is also multi-touch, which will allow users to gestures.

Lenovo claims the S10′s “Advanced Thermal Engineering” will minimize the amont of heat users feel from the palmrests and the bottom of the notebook.

The Lenovo S10 will be available starting in October.

IdeaPad S10 Specs

Form factor optimized (250.2x183x22-27.5mm, lightest
configuration of 1.1 kg/2.4lbs)
* 10.2” wide, LED backlight 1024×600 WSVGA
* Intel N270 CPU 1.6 GHz & Intel 945GSE Chipset
* Intel Integrated Graphics GMA 950
* Hard drive capacity 80GB or 160GB 9.5mm 2.5” SATA HDD (5400 rpm)
* Multi-touch Pad & near full size Keyboard (85% full size)
* Express card slot for WWAN expansion
* 4-in-1 Memory Card Reader

1. Aric H

September 30, 2008 at 7:19 am

This is great news!

Finally we can see some competition between lenovo, dell, ASUS, and Acer.

The laptop market is going to have some competition, thats for sure.

However as a software developer I speculate the main problem with these laptops will be the lag that today’s software accumulates on these “netbooks”. My goal, will be to provide this netbook market with open software that leaves a low footprint, while looking great.

I encourage other software developers to participate in this market, write efficent code, and migrate your products for this platform.

Aric Holland
    Caedmon Software

• Rob

January 23, 2009 at 3:17 am

Sounds good, but the specs are a bit confusing. Does the $449 price include the 3 or 6 cell battery?

• Rob

January 23, 2009 at 3:17 am

2. Aric H

September 30, 2008 at 7:19 am

This is great news!

Finally we can see some competition between lenovo, dell, ASUS, and Acer.

The laptop market is going to have some competition, thats for sure.

Aric Holland
    Caedmon Software

3. Aric H

September 30, 2008 at 12:19 am

This is great news!

Finally we can see some competition between lenovo, dell, ASUS, and Acer.

The laptop market is going to have some competition, thats for sure.

Aric Holland

where can i buy this awesome laptop

6. phail

September 30, 2008 at 11:53 pm

where can i buy this awesome laptop

7. Chrissy

December 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm

I just got mine. I was in the store for an Acer Aspire One and saw the Lenovo (which I’d been trying to find). No contest– real size keyboard, XP, webcam, 1GB/160mhz.

My only complaint? The lid scratches and smudges like mad (I’ve already ordered a skin, so problem solved), and the CONTROL key is one key in rather than right on the corner.

Other than that it’s the perfect netbook.

8. Chrissy

December 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Other than that it’s the perfect netbook.

9. Chrissy

December 23, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Other than that it’s the perfect netbook.

10. Randall Halton

December 28, 2008 at 12:29 am

12.27.2008

This is one is a get up & go notebook/laptop. I cant wait for the VISTA, Hm.Pre. OS versions and maybe a AMD for those of us who are SILICONIANS. IBM & Lenovo are packen serious power and portability on these S10′s!

11. Randall Halton

can i install all software in atom processor like core2

18. shafiq

May 2, 2009 at 6:35 am

can i install all software in atom processor like core2

19. Andrea

June 10, 2009 at 3:31 am

Great notebook. Only one complaint: the screen blanks out every 60 seconds if not in use. Irritating if reading, etc. There are no settings I can find to extend the time. If anyone has any ideas, please post.

20. Andrea

June 10, 2009 at 3:31 am

21. Andrea

June 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm

22. Greto

June 17, 2009 at 8:34 pm

psss competition???? the only thing that can give competion is an actual notebook….Acea n the others leaves that thing in tha dust

23. Greto

June 17, 2009 at 8:34 pm

24. Greto

June 17, 2009 at 1:34 pm

25. Jarvis

August 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm

It's a bit unclear but I would assume it is 3 cell.

26. Jarvis

August 7, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I posted a comment but it looks like the page swallowed it :( you can have a look at the link in my name for a page on laptop and notebooks and an indication of the types of savings you can make if you shop around for that Lenovo mini notebook.

27. Jarvis

August 7, 2010 at 5:35 pm

28. levi s 501 shrink

December 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Great paintings! This is the type of information that should be shared across the web. Shame on Google for now not positioning this publish higher! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thank you =)