Best Buy Black Friday: Toshiba A135-S7403 for $229

Toshiba A135-S7403 Best Buy Black Friday LaptopBest Buy’s finally published its Black Friday doorbuster specials list and it includes the Toshiba Satellite A135-S7403 for only $229. This makes the A135-S7403 the cheapest notebook advertised for Black Friday so far.

There will be a minimum of 20 A135-S7403 laptops at each Best Buy. The retailer is attempting to keep Black Friday organized and civil by passing out tickets for the A135-S7403 to those who shoe up earliest. A ticket will be required to purchase the A135-S7403, which should help minimize line jumpers and other rude behavior.

Unfortunately, the A135-7403 has an Intel Celeron 530 processor, which is much slower than the Intel Core Duo procesors found in other Black Friday notebooks, including the Compaq C717NR for $299, the Compaq C712US for $349, or the Sony VAIO VGN-NR110 for $399. All of these notebooks also come with Vista Home Premium and 1GB of RAM.

This notebook has the lowly 1.73GHz Intel Celeron M 530 processor, Vista Home Basic and 512MB of RAM. It has an 80GB hard drive (5400 RPM) and DVD burner. Graphics are provided by the integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. It comes with Windows Vista Home Basic.

Toshiba A135-S7403 LaptopThe Toshiba Satellite A135-S7403 is part of the A135 series. This series is built around a 15.4-inch widescreen display, with a resolution of 1280×800 pixels. The A135-S7403 has one PC Card slot (not an ExpressCard slot like most current notebooks), four USB 2.0 ports, S Video, and a 4000mAh battery. Toshiba includes a 5-in-1 memory card reader that works with Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, MulitiMediaCard, Secure Digital and xD-Picture Cards.

The A135-S7403 connects to WiFi networks via an integrated 802.11g wireless card.

One feature I like on Toshiba Satellite notebooks is the physical volume dial on the front edge of the notebook. It doesn’t look very high-tech, but it’s easier and faster to turn the volume down using the dial than adjusting settings or using fancier controls found on more expensive notebooks.

This laptop comes with the usual assortment of crapware-trial software and demo software that can get in the way for experienced users, and trick novices into signing up for unnecessary services or buying unneeded software. The A135-S7403 comes with trial versions of Microsoft Works, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Edition, and more.

Best Buy is listing the normal price of the A135-S7403 package as $650.98, which means there’s a $421 (65%) discount. The Toshiba A135-S7403 weighs in at just over six pounds. This notebook comes with a standard one-year warranty, with mail-in service.

For more deals visit our Black Friday Notebooks Page.

Update: I’ve already gotten a few emails from readers about the A135-S7403 and decided to post my answers here to avoid duplicate questions and answers.

Q: I’m learning PHotoshop for art class next year. Can the Best Buy laptop that’s on sale run Photoshop fast? How about making DVDs from our video camera?

I consider any laptop at $229 a good deal, as long as you have realistic expectations. 512MB is just not enough and this will make the notebook feel extremely slow, even when performing common tasks. Running image and video editing apps will be painfully slow. If you’re really interested in learning Photoshop you’re going to need a better laptop with at least 1GB of memory and a dual-core processor.

Q: My husband and kids are ALWAYS on our computer at night. Would the Toshiba A135 from Best Buy be ok for email and surfing online. I’m on a tight budget and wasn’t planning on buying a new laptop-but $229 has me thinking twice.
A: Despite it’s shortcomings, the A135-S7403 is extremely cheap. If you’re on a budget and your household needs a second computer, the A135-S7403 is a good option if you can’t afford to spend an extra $100 or so on one of the more robust Black Friday notebooks.

Q: I’m going to college next fall and am thinking of getting the Best Buy Toshiba A135-S7403 for $229.98 on Black Friday. Will it last for 4 years?

I like to compare computers to cars because some people have a lot more experience with them than computers. Buying a Toshiba A135-S7403 is a lot like buying an old beat-up car that makes a a lot of bad sounds. It’ll get you from place to place, but it’ll give you lots of headaches and end up costing more than you expected in the long term. If you get the Toshiba A135-S7403 you’re going to need to upgrade much sooner than if you invest in a better one now. I’d suggest waiting until next summer if you can wait.

1. TechNick

November 20, 2007 at 4:20 pm

I think most people should keep their main space heating computer off to save power. Laptops are great lower power consumers and if you’re file sharing I’d recommend using the laptop in lower-power mode to share files on the network without jacking up your home electricity bill. A laptop uses a 75watts (a dim light bulb) of power, but a modern desktop uses a 350watt power supply. I’d rather leave one dim bulb on all day long instead of two bright light bulbs on all day long. Also your AC bill would be higher to counter the heat fans of the PC.

2. TechNick

November 20, 2007 at 8:20 am

3. Penny

November 21, 2007 at 12:26 am

Thanks for this great site! Can you tell whether any of the door-buster laptops can be used with an air card? I understand some can only be used with a router.

4. Penny

November 20, 2007 at 4:26 pm

5. Xavier

November 21, 2007 at 1:39 am

Thanks for the compliments Penny. Could you please tell me what you mean by an Air Card?
    All of the Black Friday laptops come with WiFi cards built in.

If you mean AirCard- as in mobile broadband from Sprint, AT&T or Verizon- then it’ll depend on what kind of card you have. The A35-S7403 has a PC Card slot, which takes PCMCIA wireless modems, not the newer ExpressCard cards.

6. Xavier

November 20, 2007 at 5:39 pm

All of the Black Friday laptops come with WiFi cards built in.

7. brian

November 23, 2007 at 12:39 am

thinking about siting at best buy all night for this im useing a 1.1 gig p3 now 512 ram onboard grafics u think this will be better enuff for the wait?

8. brian

November 22, 2007 at 4:39 pm

9. Hans

November 23, 2007 at 2:15 am

I think that this laptop would be alright for image processing with a few upgrades. Just go in Best Buy and get a few Sticks of Ram that are also on sale there. Although it probably would not be good for video processing.

10. Hans

November 22, 2007 at 6:15 pm

11. Sherrie

November 23, 2007 at 3:59 am

It’s worth it to me as a cheap solution for the kid BUT the BB site is now showing “Sold Out” for this laptop. Ummm, how can it be sold out before it was suppose to go on sale?? Did all the employees get the tickets to then list the items on ebay? I’m just wondering if it’s even worth the drive now.

12. Sherrie

November 22, 2007 at 7:59 pm

13. Hasleyes

November 25, 2007 at 6:32 pm

You can say what you will, but for a nice laptop at the price, this one is fabulous. I stayed at Best Buy all night with my husband for this one and the $199 e-machine (my 1st and last time), and we felt it was worthwhile. We don’t require that much – DVD burner was a nice add-on and the free printer was a nice touch (one w/each puter). Moves fast enough for us, however we are older – (late 50′s) and don’t require all the fancy truly hi-tech stuff that college age and 30-somethings might be looking for. For the money- these puters are “tight”! lol

14. Hasleyes

November 25, 2007 at 10:32 am

15. Justin W.

November 27, 2007 at 1:11 am

im using the a135 s7403 right now. its works fine . however it did need the upgrade . my girlfreind and i both got one but she didn’t think she needed the upgrade until she saw how much faster mine was then hers. its a nice computer for lil things like writing school essays and stuff on microsoft works but it’ll suck when the 1 month trail is over then we’ll have to buy the full version. it was worth it. but its no gamers computer

16. Justin W.

November 26, 2007 at 5:11 pm

17. JOHN

December 1, 2007 at 2:18 am

I was going to buy this but then i quickly realized after waiting online for 20 hrs that the SONY Vaio was the one to get…People were asking to buy my spot for the SONY laptop. It runs super fast & i’m going to upgrade it because it’s going to be with me for a while. Nothing wrong with the Toshiba though, even theough people said it was weak online…DOn’t matter a deal is a deal if you get what you want out of ur machine & you enjoy it!

18. JOHN

November 30, 2007 at 6:18 pm

19. eduardo

July 14, 2008 at 11:05 pm

Does this toshiba a135 card reader supports smart media? Thanks!

20. eduardo

July 14, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Does this toshiba a135 card reader supports smart media? Thanks!

21. Mohammad

December 30, 2008 at 10:23 pm

I love this laptop in which i bought on black friday due to the fact remains its a good bargain and in fact the one year warranty helped me out because my hard drive went out on me and best buy replaced for me a 120 gig hard drive made by western digital which is one of the best companies in the world for free becasuse the warrranty covered under the manufacturer which is by toshiba.

22. Mohammad

December 30, 2008 at 2:23 pm

23. millie weisenborne

January 26, 2009 at 11:00 pm

could you please tell me how to get a manual for mt

toshiba a 135 s 7403

24. millie weisenborne

January 26, 2009 at 3:00 pm

could you please tell me how to get a manual for mt

toshiba a 135 s 7403

25. nicholas

March 5, 2009 at 9:45 pm

i bought this laptop november 2007 and its now march 2009.

THE WORST thing i’ve ever purchased, even though it was way cheap. this computer has had to have soooo many repairs its ridiculous. the power chord has burnt itself out to where it wouldn’t charge my laptop anymore, 2 times now.

my hard drive has crashed 3 times. they covered the repairs but all 3 times i have had to pay out of my own pocket to have the information saved ( about $100 everytime).

the hole where you stick the power supply was not manufactured properly and it wouldn’t charge AGAIN and was outside of warranty and i had to pay myself.

i know with the thousands of products they make a month there is going to be some inconsistancy(sp?) in their products, but i mean this much? i feel they sold me a lemon and never did anything about it, they wouldn’t replace it.

i can’t speak for all toshiba products, but as far as this laptop goes, its a piece of sh*t.

26. nicholas

March 5, 2009 at 1:45 pm

i bought this laptop november 2007 and its now march 2009.

27. brane

April 3, 2009 at 10:22 am

Could you tell me what tipe of RAM memory thisCeleron 430@1,73 GHz is using? DDR1 or 2 or? I can’t find any info about that.

Thanks in adwance

28. brane

April 3, 2009 at 2:22 am

Thanks in adwance

29. Ladyviola

April 15, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I’m surprised to see all the negative reviews on this laptop. I’ve had this laptop since Dec 07 and its now April 09 and I haven’t had any issues. Of course it was a must that I upgraded the ram to 2 gig. I run photoshop almost everyday and it handles it just fine. I burn cds and watch dvds on a regular basis as well. Definitely worth $229 and then some, IMHO.

30. Ladyviola

April 15, 2009 at 1:38 pm

31. hiphopsays

November 16, 2009 at 8:06 am

bought this back during the ’07 black friday and it’s still holding strong. it’s been great for schoolwork and all of the basic stuff folks due on the computer. i don’t play computer games or play videos AND work in other programs at the same time (which would test the memory capacity). i was considering getting a new notebook this black friday (as i am taking an indesign/flash course next semester) … but after seeing the pricing i realized it is cheaper to add new memory ($65 will get me 2GB of memory). even with the cost of the memory i am still coming out cheaper and i am so glad i purchased it.

32. hiphopsays

November 16, 2009 at 1:06 am

33. TechJames

March 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm

TechNick,

I'm afraid you're partially misinformed. 350 watt power supply will not always (or maybe even ever) be drawing 350 watts. It depends on the amperage drawn by the components of the system. For instance, my brother's P4 3.2 Ghz rig pulls in around 150 watts at idle and my 1.8 Ghz core 2 rig draws around 45 watts (without the monitors, mind you, but I always turn them off when I step away from the computer).

Something to keep in mind.

34. great comp

May 10, 2010 at 4:28 am

same here, I purchased this same notebook in 07 on black friday and it has held up great. i did upgrade to 2gb of memory but it has held up great and is perfect for school.

35. good luck

May 10, 2010 at 4:33 am

you couldn't get it unless you waited in line for a day and a half like we all did. good luck tho