Fujitsu announced a 320GB laptop drive, the highest capacity 2.5-inch drive on the market. The new drive, spinning at 5400 RPM, should satisfy most multimedia gluttons, with enough capacity to store about 80,000 songs or 140 hours of DVD-quality video.
The MHZ2 BH series hard drive utilizes Perpendicular Magnetic Recording to cram more capacity into the compact form factor.
“The Fujitsu R&D team is dedicated to improving performance across the entire product line, and in light of many customersÃƒÆ’Ã‚¢Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãƒ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ green initiatives, we are excited to deliver mobile HDDs with best-in-class power consumption,” said Joel Hagberg, vice president, marketing and business development, Fujitsu Computer Products of America, Inc. “The new MHZ2 BH series makes it possible for customers to build systems with industry-leading capacities, without sacrificing system performance, ensured reliability and energy conservation.”
The MHZ2 BH series is designed to produce less heat and use less power than other drives.The new drive uses just 0.6W of power when idle and 1.9W when it’s reading or writing data.
The 320GB Fujitsu drives will be available early 2008. Expect to see this drive in several entertainment notebooks and Fujitsu’s own lines.
Note to Fujitsu- Could you please brand your drives with an actual name?
MHZ2 BH Specs:
* Capacity: 40GB/80GB/120GB/160GB/200GB/250GB/320GB
* Rotational Speed: 5400RPM
* Interface: SATA 3.0 Gb/sec
* Read/Write Seek Time: 12ms/14ms typ
* Track to Track Seek Time: 1.5ms typ
* R/W Power Consumption (Best-in-Class): 1.9W typ
* Idle Power Consumption (Best-in-Class): 0.6W typ
* Standby/Sleep Power Consumption (Best-in-Class): 0.13W typ
* Acoustic (Idle): 2.4 bels typ
* Operating Shock: 325G (2ms)