HP Tablets Replace Paper on LifeTime’s Project Runway

Designers on Lifetime’s Project Runway had the opportunity to trade in their pens and pencils for touch enabled HP tablets and all in one computers. Fans tuning into the season eight premier of Project Runway will see the HP TouchSmart Tm2t tablet in use as a digital sketchpad alongside HP TouchSmart PCs.

Thanks to the use of a stylus and sketching software the Project Runway designers are able to trade in a rubber-banded stack of colored pencils for a stylus that they can change the color of at any time. The HP Tm2t tablets used on Project Runway feature the powerful, yet more battery friendly, Intel Core i5 ULV processors which don’t use as much power.

For a better idea of how the HP TouchSmart tm2t tablet, which can also be used with the screen up like a standard notebook, is used by designers on Project Runway check out this video of the technology in action.

The HP TouchSmart tm2t tablet starts at $829 with an Intel Core i3 ULV processor, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive and the option to 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5450 switchable graphics. It is one of the most popular consumer tablets because of its ability to be used as a slate as shown in the video above and swivel to be used with a standard keyboard like you see in the image below.

For more information check out our HP TouchSmart tm2t coverage and head over to GottaBeMobile.com where they cover the world of tablets and mobile technology.

Josh Smith is a longtime mobile tech user, currently using a Droid as his primary smartphone. Josh is also an editor at Notebooks.com where he reviews notebooks and other mobile tech. Follow Josh on Twitter @Josh_Smith or email him Josh@Notebooks.com.

1. Arianna

July 30, 2010 at 12:23 am

omg they r so cool wish i had one!!! but to bad i cant afford it so.

2. Lastone1968

August 21, 2010 at 12:26 am

I have one of these. The best I can say is that I can get things done with it that I wouldn't normally do in paper. Beyond that, I have I can't think of anything positive to say about it. It's your basic poor experience Windows machine. The drawing aspect of it is poor, but workable. The stylus is dime store quality. I know that sounds harsh, but to say anything else would be incorrect. The screen has trouble distinguishing between it's capacitive (finger touch) and digitizer (stylus) layers. The result is lots of mistakes when drawing. Lines that shoot from your hand to the tip of the stylus and back. Photoshop is way to heavy for fluid use but it is what I'm using. I've tried some other apps, but they are all less functional. The virtual keyboard is unresponsive. I have to keep my finger on the virtual key a tad longer to be sure that it actually registers a press, otherwise, there will be tons of letters missing when you type something. Oh, there's one thing that is super impressive. Handwriting recognition. That part is amazing. I couldn't really recommend one of these to anyone unless they are like me, buying it for a single purpose and willing to deal with the fact that this machine really doesn't do anything well. When you rotate the screen portrait, it looks a little bit like cheap monitors when you look at them on an angle. It's hard to actually see the lines I”m drawing. And of course, it's a cheap monitor so when you place it flat on a table, and you're not standing directly over it, you get the cheap monitor view. I actually feel bad to say so much negative about this machine, but again, I'm just telling the simple truth. It's hot, has a noisy fan, and the battery life is a good 3.5 hours if I'm actually doing photoshop work on it.

• Jealous

November 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Well i’m sure the machine has improved so i think you are just like every other adult in this world that criticizes the amazing things in life. Since you obviously hate this devise, why don’t you think of some other machine that works to your liking, GENIUS!

3. Little miss perfect

November 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I want one _<

4. Jealous

November 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I really want one of these super badly! Project Runway makes thes look so handy and frickin’ amazingly fun to use!

5. paper fans

December 20, 2011 at 12:04 am

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to offer something back and help others such as you aided me.