How to Get HD Video From Your iPhone 4 to Your PC

The recently released iPhone 4 takes pretty awesome HD video for a device so small, however, Apple hasn’t yet provided a good way to get HD quality video directly from the device to somewhere like Facebook or YouTube (you can’t even do it with the iMovie for iPhone app). This guide will show you how to get your HD video from your iPhone onto your computer so that you can upload it in HD to Facebook, YouTube, and more.

1. Plug your iPhone 4 into your computer.
  2. Click on the Start button and go to Computer.start computer
  3. A new window will open and your iPhone should be listed. Double-click to open it.iphone
  4. Double-click on Internal Storage to open the iPhone’s memory.internal storage
  5. Find the DCIM folder and double-click to browse photos and videos on your iPhone.dcim
  6. Double-click on the subsequent folder, and the next thing you should see is your photos and videos. 800aaaaa photos
  7. If your video was taken recently, click the More Options arrow, and click Details to view in detail view.more options arrow detail view
  8. At the top of the date column, click on Date Picture Taken to sort in ascending or descending order. This will put recent pictures or videos either at the very top or very bottom of the list.date picture taken
  9. Find the HD video that you want to get onto your computer, and drag it onto your desktop, or into another folder on your computer. Note: The video will not be deleted from your iPhone. A copy will be made when you drag it over to your computer.copy to desktop

From here, what you do with the video is up to you. You might choose to upload it to a service such as Facebook or YouTube (both support HD video). If you are going the YouTube route, be sure to check our YouTube video sharing guide.

1. Doug

July 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Any idea how to do this on a Mac instead of a PC?

2. skitllez

July 5, 2010 at 4:32 am

@Doug use iPhoto… or so I've heard

3. CallRed

July 9, 2010 at 1:07 pm

So I can get the video off, but it looks pretty bad as a quicktime movie- I'm wondering if it's my video skills or if the iphone doesn't always take in 720. or is it my computer? When I get off the files they are all .mov- anyway to change this? And when I open up my device there is no DCIM folder- it goes straight to the pics. Thanks for any help. Perhaps I need to take better video- mine is grainy (low light) and hesitates once in a while on my computer. Thanks!

4. Miner2229

July 25, 2010 at 12:14 am

If the phone is password protected then you have to unlock the phone before you will be able to see it under My Computer.

5. Silas

August 16, 2010 at 4:55 pm

confirmed. use iphoto with a mac, works like a charm.

6. DaFckinBest

August 17, 2010 at 3:00 am

Mine isnt appearing on computer T.T

7. Jimbob

August 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm

You are a bloody Wizard mate – thanks so much it worked perfectly!

8. Len

September 19, 2010 at 8:33 pm

This worked fine from my laptop running Vista but not on my desktop running Windows XP. Anyone know how to upload videos from the iPhone 4 to windows XP?

Thanks

• Kenneth

January 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I’d like to know too (in Win XP)

9. supes

November 17, 2010 at 8:13 am

When I go back in to find my videos and pictures they’re gone, where are they gone to???

10. Jenna

December 4, 2010 at 12:00 am

The upload to YouTube seems to take about a day, even with a high speed connection. Anyone else experience this???

11. iphone 5 australia

December 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I beloved up to you’ll receive performed right here. The caricature is attractive, your authored material stylish. however, you command get got an nervousness over that you would like be turning in the following. in poor health indubitably come more formerly once more since precisely the similar just about a lot continuously inside of case you defend this hike.

12. Carrie