How to Add Windows 7 Themes and Unlock Hidden Themes

Microsoft has added new utility add and change themes in Windows 7. If you’re not happy with what your Windows 7 desktop looks like out of the box you can benefit from this feature.

Windows 7 comes with several themes, but what’s available to you is different from what users half a world awya see. For example, ff you register your computer in the United States your default theme will be the same as the rest of the Windows 7 users in the U.S. Users in the United Kingdom will get something different however. The themes are included on every Windows 7 installer, but are only revealed to certain users depending on their locations.

In addition to the default themes that come on the Windows 7 disc, you can add free themes if you want to change the look and feel of your PC.

So how do you access these additional themes?

Activate hidden themes on your operating system:

Step1: First find out how many themes are available to you by right clicking on desktop and selecting Personalize option.

theme1

Step2: You can see themes available to you under personalize section.

theme2

Please note that Step 1 & 2 are not required to activate hidden themes it’s just for information.

Step3:  Change folder settings to see hidden folder. Open the computer and click on Oragnize.

Step4:  Under Organize menu select the ‘Folder and Search Option’.

Step 5: Click on View tab, Under the view tab scroll down till you see option ‘Show hidden files, folders and drive’.  Select this option.

theme4

Step6: Under the same view tab menu, Uncheck ‘hide protected operating system files’.

Step7: You will get one warning as below. Select  â€˜Yes’ and close the organize folder setting.

theme5

Step8: Now go to ‘C:WindowsGlobalizationMCT’ folder and you will find hidden themes as below.

theme6

Step9:  Alternatively of step3 to step8 you can type ‘C:WindowsGlobalizationMCT’ in window 7 search box and can press enter. You will be able to see the hidden themes

theme7

Step10: You can see the wallpapers available to them as below

theme8

Step 11: Go to theme folder and double click on the .theme which will automatically add the theme to your personalize option and will be available to use.

theme9

theme10

Adding new theme to your personalize option:

Step1: Go to the Microsoft Windows personalization page.

Step2: Download the themes which you like to your computer.

Step3: Double click on theme and it will add the theme to your personalize option and will be available to use.

theme11

1. windows 7

January 30, 2010 at 3:15 am

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about how to unlock hidden windows 7 themes.

Thanks

2. windows 7

January 30, 2010 at 11:15 am

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about how to unlock hidden windows 7 themes.

Thanks

3. Josh

February 14, 2010 at 8:45 pm

4. siti

May 17, 2010 at 4:09 am

im using a HP netbook.. i cnt seems to add any themes. there is no 'personalized' button when i right click the mouse. wad shld i do ?

5. Xavier Lanier

May 17, 2010 at 5:04 am

It sounds like you're using Windows 7 Starter, which doesn't offer the same personalization options as Windows 7 Home Premium. You can upgrade your operating system if you'd like to access these options.

6. Vasanth Btech 21

September 8, 2010 at 5:36 pm

am using sony laptop .. i cannot able to install any themes in my lap…. wht i want to do to change the theme ???????

7. Alexandra Lawrenz

October 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for sharing these tips on how to unlock Windows 7 themes. I’ve actually been trying out tons of Windows themes over the last few months—some from Microsoft’s own gallery and some from the website, Window7Theme.com. I’ve also found there’s an easy way to create themes with your own pictures, which can then be emailed to friends or uploaded with a file sharing service. I’ve put together some pointers for how to create your themes and also created a list of my favorites. Check it out at http://bit.ly/9FTqze

8. Alexandra Lawrenz

October 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

9. Billige Laptops

September 6, 2011 at 5:19 am

I have read several good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot attempt you set to create the sort of magnificent informative web site.

10. One of a kind wallpapers sites directory

November 9, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I get pleasure from, lead to I discovered just what I was taking a look for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

11. Wallpapers

December 7, 2011 at 6:12 am

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have read this put up and if I may just I desire to recommend you few attention-grabbing issues or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to learn even more issues about it!