Watch Out For Bad Black Friday Netbook Deals

Every year manufacturers and retailers roll out cheap one notebook and netbook configurations for Black Friday. Many times these low cost computers are alright for basic users who only want to surf the web and browse photos; but some cheap netbooks sold on Black Friday are cheap for a reason. They aren’t any good.

Case in point, the $119 Delstar 7 Inch Wireless Netbook 05 rumored to be sold at Kmart on Black Friday this year is a horrible buy. The biggest problem with this netbook, for most users, is that it runs Windows CE; an operating system originally designed for phones. Since this netbook runs Windows CE instead of Windows XP or Windows 7 like many netbooks you’ll find that many of your favorite programs won’t install on it.

kmart-delstarNot only is the operating system out of date; the 7 inch screen, 400 Mhz ARM processor and included 2 GB of storage are reminiscent of the first netbooks to come to market, not something that should be on the shelf today. In fact, most smart phones boast better specs than this netbook.

Additional specs from Liliputing:

The Delstar netbook does have the usual array of connectivity options including 802.11b/g WiFi, 3 USB ports, and mic and headphone jacks. It has a 3 cell battery and weighs less than 2 pounds.

Unless you have been looking specifically for a Windows CE netbook you’re better off looking at the $149 Acer Aspire One that’s rumored to go on sale at Office Max on Black Friday.

This netbook comes with a 10 inch screen, Windows XP 1 GB of Ram and a 160 GB hard drive which all add up to a more usable and functional computer for only $30 more. If you are looking for a deal on a netbook this Black Friday it should have similar specs.

• Paula says:

Thank you for this much needed info on the netbooks, I have been trying to research which ones would be the best buy on an extremely small budget, and I will def be looking towards the acer aspire.

• Paula says:

• Paula says:

• Paula says:

• Omar says:

When I first read the ad for the CE netbook i believed it was a typo and still believe KMart wont put that up for sell.

• Omar says:

• Omar says:

• Omar says:

• Renee says:

Thank you for the research saving me a lot of grief!

• Renee says:

Thank you for the research saving me a lot of grief!

• Renee says:

Thank you for the research saving me a lot of grief!

• Renee says:

Thank you for the research saving me a lot of grief!

• Bob L says:

This 7″ Delstar Mini Netbook running Windows CE is in fact being sold at Kmart! Saw one today, Nov 8. The suggested retail price is $149.00. Although it is running CE, you can use Microsoft Remote Access with the built-in Wifi to access another XP, Vista or Windows 7 computer and run any application which is on the other computer! We were thinking of getting one for the grandkids.. Let them have their own computer, but remotely access our more expensive computer (that we rarely let them use)!!

• Bob L says:

• Adrian says:

In referrence to Bob L’s comment. I would research this “remote access capability” you speak of carefully before making your purchase. The only way a computer of any type can run another operating system, and/or programs and applications that are compatible with it, is to have a virtual machine installed on its hard drive or solid state memory that contains that operating system. Good luck Bob!

• Bob L says:

• Bob L says:

• angela says:

i have the delstar bought from kmart and it works great yes you cant download alot of the websites (just like you were surfing from a cell phone)but it turns on super fast and it basic (easy to use)its great for kids and people who are new to the internet i give it a 5 on a scale from 1-10 and yes i do own another laptop but i carry the delstar every where it light fits in my purse and if it gets stolen or lost im not out much…..

• angela says:

• angela says:

• Barry says:

Anyone find any good deal sites out there?

So far, I found a few – this one seems decent:

Amazon has good prices too.

• Barry says:

Anyone find any good deal sites out there?

So far, I found a few – this one seems decent:

Amazon has good prices too.

• Barry says:

Anyone find any good deal sites out there?

So far, I found a few – this one seems decent:

Amazon has good prices too.

• Barry says:

Anyone find any good deal sites out there?

So far, I found a few – this one seems decent:

Amazon has good prices too.

• gary tice says:

Hey thanks for great advice.I have never heard of CE, I thought it new. Glad I checked it out. I will look at Office Max.

• gary tice says:

• gary tice says:

• xavier says:

I highly recommend avoiding this Delstar netbook. Yes, it is cheap, but most users will be dissatisfied with being limited to Windows CE. I don’t think the operating system is what most consumers are looking for. It’s better to keep an eye out for netbooks with Windows XP.

• xavier says:

• xavier says:

• 123 says:

Adrian, Bob is said remote desktop that is way different then what you stated. If you don’t know what Remote Desktop is then your knowledge about computers is suspect.

Please look it up before you scare people with your comments.

• Adrian says:

Dear 123, My comments are not designed to scare people. I merely wish to point out that “Microsoft Remote Access” software requires the set up of a Host – Client network with VPN software. While this will allow sharing of files, data and some applications, It will not permit the running of the Host computers operating system in the clients computer. Nore will it allow the client to play games etc. that are written for the Host computers operating system.

It is limited in its use and is primarily designed for business applications , not in home, cross platform computer sharing. By the way 123, your comment was neither constructive or educational. Perhaps next time you would be so kind as to qualify your statements.

• 123 says:

Please look it up before you scare people with your comments.

• 123 says:

Please look it up before you scare people with your comments.

• 123 says:

Please look it up before you scare people with your comments.

• elaine says:

I only want to use this computer to check emails. I have a very nice laptop for every thing else. Would this netbook be a good deal, just for sending and receiving emails? Thanks.

• elaine says:

• hmm says:

Just to clear things up. Remote Desktop on a local network does not need any type of vpn access. It is a local network after all. The only time vpn access is needed is for secure communications from outside the network. In in simplest form, you can access and control an XP or Vista machine from outside a network by merely allowing the ports or the RDP protocol through the firewall. I test software using both RDP and VMware and they are two totally different animals. Microsoft RDP is close to VNC. You control the desktop remotely and run the apps on that desktop while viewing the screen on the remote computing device. The last builds of Windows CE I tested software on already have the RDP client installed. Even Windows Mobile has an RDP client. To enable the hosting on XP or Vista you merely enable Remote Desktop through system properties. And yes RDP is cross platform, I can access all my windows machines from my Linux boxes, Although I prefer the scalability of VNC implementations

• hmm says:

• hmm says:

Angela, you mentioned that you owned this device. Can you confirm that it is truely windows CE and not XP embedded?

• hmm says:

• hmm says:

• hmm says:

Hmm,

I stand corrected. I had no idea that RDP allows cross platform remote access to the degree where a graphics intensive game or multi media feed, for instance, can be enjoyed remotely on a CE based netbook. I thought the remote system would require a similarly specified screen/GPU/CPU to share the experience. My mistake. This technology could indeed be an ideal solution for Bob and his grandkids.

Hmm,

Hmm,

Hmm,

• Kari says:

The sale @ K-Mart Delstar Netbook. Does anyone know is it something good to start a 13 year old out on? He dont get on the net much so would this be something good for him?

• lVlint says:

@Adrian. No. His method will work. See remote desktop. It runs on Windows CE. That said short of a windows server operating system with a Terminal Services License only one user can access the computer at a time.

• harry longbottom says:

did you say 2GB of storage LOL?!!!

• Ron says:

well it is in the 5 hour only sale, glad I looked it up. But I believe any informed consumer these knows you usually get what you pay for.

• Paul says:

it's only $30 cheaper than a laptop that is tremendously better, really, it's best to avoid.

• Paul says:

no, it's not worth it at all.

• strawberries says:

thanks for the info. i was going to purchase the delstar on sale at k-mart this am, now i'm not. i am computer illiterate and don't know which way to turn. looking for small, lite weight laptop with decent memory and such, but cheap. HELP !!!!!!!!!!! where do i find such a beast ? happy holidays.

• UPSET says:

This add is false!!!!!!!!!! Yes you can get the Acer at Office Max But it is not 149.00 its 299.00 wow I think some one was a lil off. And also would like to thank you ( NOT) for the miss info also on the specs, every one I talked with says that it loads every thing just fine and runs there programs with no problem.Next time I will check the info a lil closer before taken this ADDS advice on WHAT not to BUY.Becouse of this i lost out on the 119.00 deal at Kmart.AGAIN THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!!!

• KIM says:

so does that mean you liked the netbook

• Dave W. says:

I bought the Delstar netbook today, I ran out of memory loading my mail.
    serious JUNK

• Ron says:

josh doesnot realy know much about the netbooks WINDOWS CE was produced for pda'S not cell phones.

• shavy says:

I found this to be very true, I purchased one of these netbooks from kmart for my son and I experienced more problems than it was worth; I got so aggravated with it, I returned the next day!

• jlgoss00 says:

I bought one of these netbooks on black friday and I don't know how to get the connection off of my home computer for the WiFi. I tried looking up on google.com, but found nothing. I just want to get on the internet on the go. What am I doing wrong? Please help me

• Jeff says:

Whether this will work for you or not is dependent on your needs and expectations. If you only wish to do light, flash-free web-browsing, check e-mails and use simple productivity software like text editors, spreadsheets, etc., then this will likely suit your needs. If your expectations are more in line with the performance of more expensive netbooks, then you will be disappointed.

Personally, I don't need a flashy netbook. I'm a student and all I need is something that's small, has decent battery life, has an office suite and basic web browsing capabilities with 802.11b/g support. I don't need it to run Crysis. I have a beefy and expensive desktop for that. I can stick this in my backpack, pull it out at any hotspot and be working on a paper or lab report in under a minute.

A note about this netbook. There's a factory in China which is responsible for making this and many other nearly identical netbooks which are rebranded for various countries. They originally came with a proprietary Linux-based OS which was very, very limited. The newer ones seem to be mostly Windows CE 5.0/6.0, which means you have access to a large library of software created for the WinCE OS. The specs of these machines can run the gamut from 266 MHz to 400 Mhz, with a SSD of 1Gb to 4Gb and ram from 64 Mb to 256 Mb, with 128 Mb being far more common. Some of the earlier ones either do not have wireless capability or are 802.11 b only, so beware.

If you're looking for something with more horsepower to it, you can find some good deals on refurbished lower-end Asus Eee PCs for around $200. The Acer Aspire One at Office Max ended up being $300 on Black Friday.

• Kyle says:

This netbook finally replaces my old HP Jornada 720. Finally a Windows CE device thats in a reasonable, small, laptop like package. I mourned the death of the Windows CE palmtop and this is as close as it gets for a new one.

• Leroy says:

I owned Aspire Acer One with warranty speaker never worked well kept dumping files had to send back to factory they say I had a hole in screen warranty don't cover that wanted 150.00 more to repair u get what u pay 4

• nuttybaker says:

I can't get my to work the instructions suck, can anyone help?

• Monica says:

I received one for Christmas. I've charged it for two days and still can't get it to power up.

• Pilotgeek says:

You really have never used remote access, have you? I'm replying to you from one of those cheap-ass netbooks. While I could use Pocket IE, I am using Remote Desktop to use my Windows 7 computer. While the netbook is not actually running Windows 7, it appears and feels that I am. I can start up any of my Windows 7 programs and use them from this netbook using RDP. Also, I am NOT using a VPN. Because I'm on a private LAN with wifi, I don't need to. It's just a way to be at your computer without actually being in front of it.

• Adrian says:

Hello, I'm Adrian. I like to post long explainations about things I know absolutely nothing about. I suck cocks.

• maureen simpson says:

we bought our delstar netbook in usa whilst on hols.. shop assistant assured us we could use back in the uk, but we can't get it going have we been ripped of by the boy at kmart? maureen simpson uk

• maureen simpson says:

have we been ripped off by the assistant in kmart when we bought our delstar netbook on holiday in usa , he said we could use it back in the uk….we can't seem to do so!

• maureen simpson says:

• maureen simpson says:

• Moonshadow59 says:

This isn't a netbook, but it does have potential. Think of it as a Pocket PC in a netbook form factor, And judging from the cpu and OS, could probably run Pocket PC programs, including Skyfire, one of the best web browsers for a PDA. Its a shame they tried to sell it as a Netbook, as its quite similar to a MobilePro 900c Clamshell PDA in terms of its specs.

Because of how they tried to sell it, a nice PDA is being viewed as a junky netbook.

• Amanda says:

I bought the delstar netbook around thanksgiving last year it was on sale. Cheap too. I was told by the kmart electronics person that it was a really good netbook. I should’ve got a second opinion before I bought it because it is a piece of s**t! It’s really slow and I can’t download any programs for it because the memory is already used up and I didn’t even get to add any new programs because the ones already on it took up all the memory. I advise everyone out there NOT to buy this netbook. You will be unhappy. I’m still trying to get rid of the stupid thing!

• Pilotgeek says:

Many of these can be upgraded to Android instead of Windows CE. Faster, more capable, many apps, etc.