Dell Adamo XPS: A 9.99mm Thick Concept Notebook

Dell’s Adamo XPS design concept is seriously thin. So thin in fact that it makes the MacBook Air and other ultra-thin notebooks look fat. I got to spend some time with the Adamo XPS last week and was amazed by it. The Dell Adamo XPS measures just 9.99mm (.39 inch) thick, which is about half as thin as the MacBook Air, which measures 17.4mm (.76 inch) at its thickest point. It is about 25% thinner than the iPhone 3GS. Did I mention it’s thin?

Dell launched a teaser page on its site today that allows interested parties to sign up for updates. Unfortunatley, there’s very little information in the way of specifications or information on the page.

Screen shot 2009-09-09 at 11.09.09 AM

The Dell Adamo XPS is an ultraportable-sized device and not a netbook. I don’t know exactly how much it weighed, but it couldn’t have been more than two pounds.

Dell didn’t allow me to take pictures or videos of the Adamo XPS, but I can confirm that the thing is a working prototype. It looks like something from the future and shows that Dell is serious about pushing the envelope when it comes to design. The Adamo XPS has a full keyboard that flips away from the display.

When the Adamo XPS is on a desk it looks too thin to be an actual computer. It’s just slightly thicker than a MacBook Pro’s display.

A notebook this thin would have to overcome several challenges, including heat and battery life.

I’m not sure if Dell will actually sell the Adamo XPS in the future, but it’s cool to show what’s possible. Stay tuned as Dell said they’ll be sharing more info about the concept in the coming weeks.

1. John Obeto

September 9, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Good points on the heat dissipation and battery life, X.

The other question I would have would be the structural integrity of the device. Not just initially, but over the projected lifetime of the device.

Unless, of course, it is made of some super-reinforced composite material.

How thin is too thin?

September 9, 2009 at 7:27 pm

So this isn’t something you’d want to drop on the ground ;-)

• duh

October 6, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I don’t think you’d want to drop any computer on the ground, including your iphone/touch

• duh

October 6, 2009 at 2:06 pm

September 9, 2009 at 7:27 pm

So this isn’t something you’d want to drop on the ground ;-)

September 9, 2009 at 7:27 pm

So this isn’t something you’d want to drop on the ground ;-)

2. John Obeto

September 9, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Good points on the heat dissipation and battery life, X.

Unless, of course, it is made of some super-reinforced composite material.

How thin is too thin?

3. John Obeto

September 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Good points on the heat dissipation and battery life, X.

Unless, of course, it is made of some super-reinforced composite material.

How thin is too thin?

September 9, 2009 at 12:27 pm

So this isn’t something you’d want to drop on the ground ;-)

• duh

October 6, 2009 at 7:06 am

4. Anonymous

September 10, 2009 at 8:06 am

“has a full keyboard that flips away from the display” – that’s an interesting way to put it. Was the intention to convey that it is … a little unconventional in design/operation?

September 11, 2009 at 6:37 am

Yes, that was intentional ;-)

September 11, 2009 at 6:37 am

Yes, that was intentional ;-)

5. Anonymous

September 10, 2009 at 8:06 am

6. Anonymous

September 10, 2009 at 8:06 am

7. Ray

September 10, 2009 at 1:06 am

September 10, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Yes, that was intentional ;-)

8. deltaman

September 10, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Please don’t overlook that this is NOT a touch-screen tablet… The “teaser” pics don’t reveal how the fold-away keyboard is attached, or how it affects the overall thickness of the package. The keyboard hinge will need to support the weight of the base so that the display can be held at some desired angle while using the keyboard – unless users are expected to hover over the display like a dog over its food bowl. There’s a lot of ergonomic considerations that won’t make sense (or not) until the full package is revealed. It’s a cheap shot by Dell, imo, since it’s obviously intended to unhook buyers currently considering a high-end ultralight, without actually offering a shipping alternative to consider…

• Anonymous

September 10, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Hi deltaman, that’s quite a few assumptions you’ve made in your post without knowing what it looks like … or do you? If you do know, please share! I’m not quite in your category of “obviously intended to unhook buyers currently considering a high-end ultralight”, but I would consider it if the specs were right as an alternative to carry around for client presentations if it were indeed novel.

• deltaman

September 11, 2009 at 1:12 am

Actually, Ray, I was encouraging folks to NOT make “assumptions” based on this teaser pic & the skimpy specs presented here… We’re not being provided with any performance specs, nor are we shown the full package (keyboard/charger/optical drive/presentation stand/wireless adapter?/etc.) which would be required to actually make the “Adamo XPS” functional for day-to-day use…

I’m quite comfortable with my characterization of this publicity-stunt as a “spoiler” since there’s nothing offered for sale here (not even an assurance that there ever will be) & absolutely NO performance specs beyond thickness – apparently without the keyboard attached…

Ray, I suspect that I’ve just met the Dell-equivalent of a Mac “fan boy” … Your unfounded enthusiasm is thoroughly charming!

• deltaman

September 11, 2009 at 1:12 am

• Anonymous

September 11, 2009 at 6:23 am

Sorry about the reply – it’s below somewhere since I apparently can’t click the proper Reply link on a Friday afternoon.

In essence, not a Dell Fanboi, my enthusiasm stems from new designs. For anything. I don’t mind being teased. I’m not taking a shot at you personally but obviously don’t see it as “a cheap shot” anymore given that it’s commonplace in every industry. Perhaps I just agree to disagree, but I’ll still hang on to my charming, unbridled enthusiams, you jaded fart. :)

September 11, 2009 at 6:39 am

Ok, just for the record guys- the Dell Adamo XPS has a keyboard and it’s included in the dimensions that Dell provided.

September 11, 2009 at 6:39 am

September 10, 2009 at 6:12 pm

• Ray

September 10, 2009 at 11:23 pm

September 10, 2009 at 11:39 pm

12. Craig

September 10, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Am I the only one getting thoroughly fed up with this sort of publicity. Just tell us what you intend to sell, ie, give us the information about the product and stop the very obvious marketing psychology tricks!!

13. Craig

September 10, 2009 at 11:49 pm

14. Craig

September 10, 2009 at 4:49 pm

15. SuPaGrAm

September 11, 2009 at 3:24 am

Xavier; is the Adamo XPS a classic laptop ‘clam-shell’ design?

September 11, 2009 at 6:41 am

Not completely ‘classic,’ but not that far off. I really wish I could have taken pics, but I had to put my camera down before they unveiled it.

September 11, 2009 at 6:41 am

16. SuPaGrAm

September 11, 2009 at 3:24 am

Xavier; is the Adamo XPS a classic laptop ‘clam-shell’ design?

17. SuPaGrAm

September 11, 2009 at 3:24 am

Xavier; is the Adamo XPS a classic laptop ‘clam-shell’ design?

18. SuPaGrAm

September 10, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Xavier; is the Adamo XPS a classic laptop ‘clam-shell’ design?

September 10, 2009 at 11:41 pm

19. Anonymous

September 11, 2009 at 6:17 am

Hi Deltaman. A Dell fan? Really? I’m surprised I came across that way. Given the money, I would buy an MBP as a laptop and install Win7 on it. As it is, I own a HP netbook which I love and a desktop I’ve put together out of various parts and a home-brew HTPC which I’ve built to look like part of the cabinetry. I’m not a Dell fan, I’m a design fan. What’s real interesting to me is to see what they’ve come up with here. Do I get excited by possibilities? Hell Yes. Perhaps I haven’t become as jaded yet.

Deltaman, it seems like you’ve taken issue to releasing teasers. Why? Doesn’t everyone do it, and not only with computers? You talk as if it were a totally new thing. I waited with anticipation to see what the iPhone 3GS was going to be like (and was dissappointed), I am waiting to see what the successor to the Murcielago is going to be like, and I wouldn’t even mind being teased by the next trailer to the final Harry Potter film. Publicity tricks? Of course. Expected? Surely. Surprised? Hardly. Take offence at it? Wow you must be constantly angry …

20. Anonymous

September 11, 2009 at 6:17 am

21. Anonymous

September 11, 2009 at 6:17 am

22. Ray

September 10, 2009 at 11:17 pm

23. joson

December 4, 2009 at 1:07 pm

This looks NOTHING like anything Dell has ever put out (except for the original Adamo). Dell has come a long way from the company that made cheap gray boxes

24. joson